Friday, July 20, 2012

Eastern Conference Additions Ibervillea

I can finally go into this without embarrassment since I can confirm that I did not kill one of the plants I bought at the Eastern Conference.

The Ibervillea tenuisecta I bought looked like it had just come out of dormancy and it defoliated as soon as I repotted. Needless to say,  I didn't have high hopes for its survival with no roots and no leaves. Luckily I was premature in my assessment, just take a look at this baby now.



 I need to find some sort of support for it because it is trying to grab hold of every nearby object in the apartment. I haven't grown Ibervillea before but I was surprised to see that it is native to the Americas (United States even). It is a cucurbet, I guess I should have known. USDA lists it as native to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I've been impressed so far. The common name, Slimlobe Globeberry, is something that I'm never going to call it, but it is nice to have some native succulents for once. Most of my collection is South African.


 It's a long way from becoming one of those adorable flat disks that fat plants shows. I'm more than willing to wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment