Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Annuals

"Steph! You're alive! "

Oh how I hope there was someone out there who has actually been reading this regularly. I haven't had too much posting time lately. I'm blaming this on three factors, work, fire spinning and my fiance. Spring is here so it seems like there is a fire night every other day here in the city. I've also been trying to get as much practice in before everyone leaves for some sort of summer vacation. My fiance is leaving for Maine for work for the next two months so I've wanted to get as much time in with him before his departure and lastly with work I've been pulling out bulbs and putting in annuals.

Annuals went fairly smoothly this year. Some of our other staff worked on pulling bulbs and I was able to get the rest out. I'm not always entirely excited when I have others help with bulb pulling. There is nothing more annoying than having some of last years tulips show up in this years formal tulip planting. Tiptoeing through the tulips is never a good time and if you do miss one, its better just to cut it off.

I'm glad that no one broke any irrigation lines trying to get the bulbs out this year. Improper use of pitchforks last year led to a whole bunch of repairs. Unfortunately I noticed a bunch of bulbs still in when I started putting in the annuals. It looks like I'll be roto tilling for fall planting.

It rained quite a bit while we were doing the summer planting, our irrigation pump went this spring so the rain was definitely a life saver. Last year most of our annuals had establishment issues because of too much rain. Thank God that didn't happen this year. There's nothing more frustrating than starting off with mildewed and rotted plants before you even get them into the ground. So far everything has been taking and I can see some differences in size every morning.

Work is paying off.

 Cute little bed by the Shake Shack. Purples and oranges were the goals here. You'll notice it more when everything is in flower/fruit.

 One of our big annual plantings. I can't wait for these to fill out.

 Canna 'Phasion'

 This area is going to be so colorful once the Amaranth and Lantana fills out.

 Purple themed planting by the playground

Canna 'Blueberry Sparkler'

1 comment:

  1. Steph, the Cannas are amazing! The plantings will be awesome when they fill out!

    ReplyDelete