Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mild Success: Black Cotton

Earlier on in the season my coworker gave me some Gossypium herbaceum 'Nigra' seeds. The seedlings started off well in plugs. I then brought them over to my fathers where one of three were crushed. They recovered fairly well... and something gnawed the tips off a few days later. 


They never made it much taller than six inches. Two survived and to my knowledge neither of them flowered. I'm pretty disappointed about it either way. I planted them behind some golden Spireas so I was looking forward to the contrast. The flowers are supposed to be pretty nice and I certainly wouldn't mind having some cotton.


(I have no idea if this is a bud or seed..or hat...or..)



Honestly, I have no idea how cold hardy these are supposed to be. No one has really posted too much information on them. I would love it if they happened to be perennial, but based on standard cotton varieties, I'm not going to hold my breath. I mulched the hell out of them just in case. Who knows, with all the green trees here in New York, I don't even know if we're really having winter anymore.


I think I'll try them again next year if I have somewhere to keep it in a pot. I imagine the differences in soil and just the general neglect of things at my fathers house might have been difficult for it. Maybe it will do better if someone paid more attention to it. It does seem to be an attractive plant once it gets going.



2 comments:

  1. Would you know where I could purchase this plant? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, my co-worker received seeds for this from the university of Tennessee extension. However, I know Landcraft environments grows these on long island as wholesale plants. Here's their list of retailers, if you don't see anyone who might carry it there, you can always email Dennis there and he might have a better idea. http://www.landcraftenvironment.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=lc_gardencenters&Store_Code=LANDCRAFT

      Delete