Monday, October 10, 2011

Autumn's here.

Sometimes I wonder if fall may be the best season in our garden.



You want flowers, we've got flowers. We've got Spireas still in full bloom, Day lilies, Russian sage, Montauk daises, Cone flowers, Agastache. Psh, some gardens aren't even that colorful in summer.


(Photo won't rotate right for some reason, you'll have to turn your computer.)
We have Asters (2) that I salvaged from work last year and were devoured by wildlife this year. In generally I really don't like asters, but these were such a clear blue color. We planted some in shade and they really stood out (and never really bloomed right, but that's what shade does.) I wish I could remember the variety off the top of my head... I guess I'll have to check the records and get back on this.



You want berries. We've got berries. The weirdest purple berries you've ever seen on a plant. Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) is a U.S native. This plant still isn't all that common in the trade. I know the flowers aren't the showiest but there are early defoliating varieties now so I can't see why more people wouldn't want these weird purple things showing up in fall.


How about some color. Fall color, regular color.. whatever....

Ooo..

 Aah. Look at the sun shining on that Hibiscus.


 Leucothoe fontanesiana, also known as Fetterbush or Doghobble. I took this cutting in the spring. Hopefully it will be a real shrub soon.


 

While the Spireas may still be flowering, they're also doing fall color change. This one had some nice red patches.


I've wanted to put in some fall blooming bulbs. I put it off for this fall, but with seeing this color display, I don't even think fall bulbs are necessary. But.. then I look at pictures like this and realize that it probably wouldn't hurt to put them in eventually. They're just too stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment