Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flowers and Lions and Bears Oh my!

I love plants who belonging to Asclepiadoideae. In fact.. I'd have to say that most of my house plants string from either this subfamily or from Asparagaceae. So when John Pilbeam recently published Stapeliads, I preordered it on amazon as soon I heard it was coming out. (I'm still drooling over this and hoping that one day I can find a copy to look at.)

Realistically speaking though, most of my plants aren't at flowering age yet. The one exception is seemingly my Huernia macrocarpa which has produced at least one flower about every three weeks throughout the summer. I've been very pleased with this specimen. I haven't had any winter rotting. Its flowered enough where I've been able to identify what it is (because Asclepiads are never labeled for whatever reason). So far, no complaints. One other thing about Asclepiads is that they usually are pollinated by flies and like insects so their flowers often give of the smell of rotting flesh. I've detected a faintly unpleasant smell with this one, but I really have to stick my face in the thing to notice it.

Huernia macrocarpa (and coffee pot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment