Friday, July 1, 2011

Containers (One of many posts, I'm sure.)

Ah Fridays. Fridays are my Saturdays. I get to sleep late (7 am) and spend time cleaning up some of my plants before I catch up on everything else I've neglected at home all week....

like "fixing" my screen that my cat ate through...


Few New Yorkers have the luxury of having their own yard. For garden buffs like me, it can be a very frustrating thing.  There are hundreds of plants I want to trial. I manage to squeeze some into the beds at work. Others make their way into my father's yard. There's still never really enough space with these two options and both require transportation away from home for my own enjoyment. But even if you don't have the urge to trial almost every Kniphofia you've laid eyes on, you might still want to grow some herbs and vegetables in this urban wasteland.

Container gardens are the most practical way to keep plants alive in the city. I got lucky with my current apartment. I've got plenty of window space and my two front windows connect to a fire escape so I get some sun. I'm aware that having items on your fire escape is supposedly illegal. I'm not suggesting that you do it if its clearly stated in your lease. I recommend that if you do put anything out there, keep it limited and make sure you still have window access. My argument is this, a few pots are not going to hinder a firefighter in the way that an air conditioner will and I see plenty of air conditioners all over the place. The Gothamist wrote something about this in March. If the fire escape is not an option for you, and you have roof access, the roof is an ideal place for containers. (But yet again, make sure you have land lord okay before you build your garden of Eden.) Ground level containers are okay too. Just watch out for theft and vandals and animals... all the same thing really. Windowsill pots are okay too, just remember that they're still being grown inside and they don't always look as great as they would outside.

Your container can be just about anything. I've got a ton of plants growing in soup cans and old yogurt containers. I used recyclables throughout most of college and I still have a bunch of them now that I'm a real person. If it holds soil and drains (or you're really really precise with watering) it can be a container.

Like my slightly cracked Caladium teapot.


I'm not going to list what you should plant if do decide to have your own urban garden. There are different plants for different people and not every planting place has the same environmental conditions. Research the plant before you try it. There's no point in planting Hostas if you have full direct sun and you know you're never going to remember to water. Just as planting most culinary herbs in shade won't yield the healthiest looking basil and certainly not the most abundant crop, don't set your expectations high if you can't provide the right conditions for the plant.

Don't be afraid to mix annuals and perennials. Don't be afraid to mix flowers with edibles. Do plant what makes it worthwhile for you. Do remember to water them.

And if you get really adventurous, try a water garden. Mine has been struggling along. We'll see if it ever really flowers. Keep in mind mosquitoes breed in still water so be sure to change out the water on a regular basis... This might not be back for summer 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment